There are several dishes that I make every year that announce the arrival of Autumn. One of them is crunchy caramel apple pie. I get entirely too much credit for this dish but that’s because it’s just so amazingly yummy!
I came across this pie recipe a several years ago while watching Good Morning America. Emeril Lagasse was hosting an “Apple Pie of Emeril’s Eye” contest. People from all over submitted apple pie recipes that were judged by Emeril. This particular apple pie was the winning recipe.
I had not been much of a pie maker before encountering this recipe. Cookies, brownies, cakes, banana/pumpkin bread, etc were where my baking talents had been focused. But this pie sounded rather appealing and really not all that difficult to make. The woman who submitted the recipe even said that she usually used store bought crust! I was all over that (well until recently!) I printed off the recipe and gave it a go. And I’ve never looked at another apple recipe!
The recipe combines the best of apple pie and apple crisp. In fact, when I don’t have (or don’t want to make) pie crust, it easily adapts into a crisp (just put in a baking dish instead of a pie shell.) It’s crowning glory are the pecans and drizzled caramel that are added just after taking the pie/crisp out of the oven. I always, always get compliments when I make this pie. There are even some members of our Life Group who specifically request that I make this pie for our Life Group Thanksgiving meal.
Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie
- 1 pastry crust for a deep-dish pie, 9-inch (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (Golden delicious, fuji, gala and granny smith, alone or in combination, make great pies. I generally use what I have on hand.)
- 1 recipe crumb topping (see below)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup caramel topping (I use Smuckers caramel ice cream topping)
Ingredients for Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup butter
Directions for Crumb Topping:
- Stir together brown sugar, flour and oats.
- Cut in butter until topping is like course crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Add apple slices and gently toss until coated.
- Transfer apple mixture to the pie shell.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture
- Place pie on a cookie sheet so the drippings don’t drop into your oven.
- Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and put back in for another 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle pie with chopped pecans then drizzle with caramel.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy warm or at room temp. (Even better with vanilla ice cream!)
This is a terrible picture but it’s all I have! I made this yesterday for Life Group but completely forgot the nuts and caramel topping. It was still tonguegasmic!!